Monday, June 8, 2015

The Tardis: Overlay Painting

Doctor Who? Yes the doctor that flies around in a Police Box through time saving the universe.
My wife and I were traveling through Ross and I spotted this Canvas Print of 3 red Telephone Booths in a black and white London scene. When I saw this I immediately thought about painting the Tardis from Doctor Who over one of them. Better yet my sisters birthday was coming up and I knew she would have loved to have an original work with the Tardis on it, 


Before I got out my Acrylic paints and taped out the shape I had to clear the sparkly glue off the canvas. Because the rest of Telephone booths had sparkly's I knew I would have to match the Tardis to the original work to have it blend in just like it does in the show, I liked the thought of Tardis Blue Sparkles on it, but I wasn't sure how easy it would be to find dark blue. 

I made a run to Walmart. Literally I ran the few miles to get there, money in my little pouch making my way through a neighborhood at 10 O'clock at night. I thought I would be able to buy a single Blue thing of sparkles, but ended up coming home with a variety including: red, gold, silver and the blue I needed to finish the project. Ill use the other glitters for something else some time, 


It was easy to tape and paint a base layer. I used varieties of blue with grey and charcoal so that I would have a timed and weathered look on the Tardis, I made sure the shadows matched the rest of the lighting in the painting. Then I added more detail, finishing touches and the glitter.

 Here is the Final Product.